Warning: Use of undefined constant http - assumed 'http' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in /home/scohaw4/onlineultrasoundschool.com/wp-content/plugins/https-switcher/https-switcher.php on line 25
Warning: Use of undefined constant https - assumed 'https' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in /home/scohaw4/onlineultrasoundschool.com/wp-content/plugins/https-switcher/https-switcher.php on line 26
Google Chrome is beloved by many users, but it failed to live up to Firefox’s reputation because of a lack of extensions for the Chrome Browser. Now, however, Google Chrome has enough extensions to rival Firefox, and some duplicate and are even better than the ones designed for Firefox. But, what about extensions for parents and kids? We’ve snagged 25 Google Chrome extensions that parents can use for browsing safety, for fun, and for learning, all listed below.
Each link leads to the download page, either at Google Chrome or at the developers’ sites. You may discover a few extensions that will add to your browsing safety and pleasure as well, especially when you can find tools that help you to avoid risky sites and to watch international television. For more extensions, visit the Google Chrome Extensions Web site.
- Adblock Lite is a fast, easy way to block ads while browsing. It is the only extension that does not need to be configured before surfing, and it hides advertisements before they appear on the page. Needs daily updates, however.
- BitDefender QuickScan takes full advantage of the “in-the-cloud” scanning service and is capable to detect active malware in less than a minute, taking just a fraction of the system resources needed by a regular virus scan.
- CEOP’s internet safety advice is a tool produced by the Child Exploitation and Online Protection (CEOP) Centre. Download their extension and keep CEOP specialists at your fingertip whenever and wherever you use the internet.
- Click&Clean deletes browsing history, typed URLs, Flash cookies, all traces of your online activity to protect your privacy.
- F Off! is a profanity filter for Google Chrome that cleans your Internet of swearing. It’s a great app for people who would like the power to choose what sort of language they consume on the Web, or for those who would like to make the web a cleaner place for their kids.
- FlashBlock allows you to block all Flash features or to be selective with the embedded whitelist manager. Each Flash element is replaced with a placeholder that allows you to load only selected elements on a given page.
- Ghostery allows you to protect your privacy by detecting trackers, Web bugs, pixels and beacons placed on Web pages by ad networks, behavioral data providers, web publishers, and other companies interested in your activity or your child’s activity.
- LinkExtend provides a toolbar that allows parents to set safety browsing, to install a KidSafe alert and erase tool, page ranks and more. Great for parents as well as for kids.
- PasswordFail Extension warns the user if the Web site being used stores passwords in plain text, a practice which is unnecessary and dangerous.
- SiteAdvisor for Chrome is based upon McAfee SiteAdvisor and warns you about page ratings before you open the site.
- WOT, or Web of Trust, is a safe browsing tool, which warns you about risky sites that cheat customers, deliver malware or send spam. Traffic-light rating symbols show which Web sites you can trust for safe surfing, shopping and searching on the Web.
- Chrome TV is a free plug-in that enables users to watch online TV direct from the Chrome browser. With more than 3,000 TV channels from all over the world, this is best way to easily watch TV on your computer.
- Cooliris transforms your browser into a full-screen 3D Wall for searching, viewing and sharing the Web. The Cooliris extension includes a plugin that requires access to your graphics card in order to render the high-performance 3D Wall. Cooliris also helps parents seem cool.
- Flixster Movies extension lets you find out about new movies and watch trailers directly from your toolbar.
- Justin.tv Channel Browser shows what is on Justin.tv without going to the site. Find live videos and search to find a live channel to watch streaming videos.
- Kidstube Button allows Internet users to open KidsTube with a click of a button, and avoids any unnecessary browsing. KidsTube has a wide variety of age-appropriate videos.
- One Manga Reader helps users to follow the updates of favorite mangas and beautify the One Manga Web site. Mangas are sorted in alphabetical order in the list. Mangas with new updates appear on top of the list.
- TV Chrome is the TV Extension for Google Chrome that allows users to watch 2780 live television channels sorted by country and category directly from the Chrome Browser.
- Basic Calculator is a simple and easy-to-use calculator that allows users to choose a favorite style and icons.
- Chrome Dictionary Lite lets you translate words on any current page. Click the magnifier icon to turn on on particular page, then move your mouse to hover words to translate.
- Diigo Web Highlighter and Bookmark highlights Web pages with multiple colors as you read online. Also allow tagging and sticky notes.
- Fast Typer is a game and a learning tool as users see how many six-letter words they can type within one minute.
- Google Dictionary helps define words with a double click. Once you double click on a work, a small pop-up bubble shows the complete definition of that word.
- StayFocusd increases productivity by limiting the amount of time per day that users spend browsing time-wasting Web sites. Once your allotted time for the day has been used up, the sites you have blocked will be inaccessible for the rest of the day. Good way to teach kids how to stay focused and to restrict time spent on certain sites.
- Wikipedia Companion — Mini Wiki Browser is a full-featured mini-browser and lookup for Wikipedia and is an essential tool for any Wikipedia user. It saves your recent wiki lookups, is multi-lingual and moves back and forward and more.